Blackout Poetry Workshop With Michael Nyers of Fade into a Blackout
Thursday, April 11, 2019
7:00pm – 9:00pm
699 Pennsylvania Avenue
Monaca, PA 15061
What is Blackout Poetry, you ask?
Blackout Poetry is a mixture of poetry and art made by taking any form of printed text and blacking out the unwanted words to create a poem or statement. Standard techniques usually involve a black Sharpie marker, but have evolved into other traditional (and even nontraditional) art mediums. It can be a therapeutic look into the subconscious mind that can promote mindfulness and creativity and help with overall well-being and mental health. And it’s creative and fun to do!
Everyone is Creative, including YOU!
Learn how to take old discarded book pages and turn them into thoughtful, creative works of visual poetry. The process is quite simple and meditative, making this workshop fun for ANYONE…no poetry or art experience is required! We’ll provide the materials and instructions. All you need is you! You will be amazed at what emerges after you have finished with this interactive Blackout Poetry workshop!
- Workshop fee is $30 per person (prepaid). ALL supplies are provided.
- Workshop Length: 2 hours
- Registration closes at 11PM one day prior to event.
- Only 20 spots available. Registration is on a first-come-served basis, so be sure to solidify your spot quickly!
- Snacks and water will be provided. You may bring your own wine/beer.
- Workshop participants are encouraged to bring any specific books or materials they would like to incorporate into their artwork.
- Workshop includes your original Blackout Poems along with a unique finished printed version of your work for you to display!
- There will be a drawing at this workshop to win a copy of Michael’s book, “Finding Light in the Darkness: A Collection of Blackout Poetry”!!!! (must be registered and present to be eligible)
Space is limited, so be sure to sign up early!